Thursday 9 January 2014

My Books and Movies of 2013

In the life and times of me, 2012 was the year I bought an ebook reader, a snazzy thing with a touch-screen and a case with an awesome reading light on it. It has remained unused and has finally been passes on by me to more savvy relatives who can install calibre and read wonderful books - I have gone on to get a relatively cheap-o Kindle, 6" at that, bought at a discount, without a case (I intend to keep it like that!) and read a whole lot more books that I have actually wanted to read. (I have perhaps sold my soul to the devil of monopoly, but bought a really well designed device that means I get to read more!)
My usual things is to list the books I read in any year, movies that I watched in any year. But 2013 was a very long year; I can barely remember parts of it and it is also the year where a lot of books were only half-read, blasphemy, i know!
Here is a list of books I did end up reading, including reading up to yesterday, in no particular order:
1. The fault of our stars by John Green (in the US)
2. The happiest refugee by Ahn Do
3. The Cuckoo's Calling by J. K. Rowling or Robert Galbraith (in the US)
4. The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg
5. The Power of Now by Ekhart Toole
6. The Game of Thrones by George RR Martin
7. Call for the dead By John Le Carr
8. Lost Cat: A True Story of Love, Desperation, and GPS Technology by Caroline Paul, Wendy MacNaughton (Illustrations)
9. Banker To the Poor by Muhammad Yunus (in the US)
10. He did it: Swami Chinmayanada by The Chinmaya Mission
11. Lectures on the Bhagavad Gita by Swami Vivekandanda
12. Guitar Zero: The New Musician and the Science of Learning by Gary Marcus
(Not going to mention the part-read!)

The movies watched in 2013:
1. Gravity (of course)
2. Blue Jasmine
3. Before Midnight
4. The World's End
5. Silver Linings Playbook
6. About Time
7. The Hobbit - Part 2
8. Lootera

The most interesting (and currently persisting) discoveries were: Brain Pickings; Twitter; Kindle; ColorNote (Awesome app); lolmythesis!!
PS: If I am able to recover my goodreads password, i might add to the book lists! hopefully! ;)
Update: Looking up goodreads only added one more book (see no. 12), sadly.

No comments: