Saturday 15 March 2014

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?

Before Sunrise has this interesting conversation between Celine and Jesse, that goes:

Celine: Yeah. I think its because I always… I always have this strange feeling that I am this very old woman laying down about to die. You know, that my life is just her memories, or something.

Jesse: That’s so wild. I mean, I always think that I’m still this 13 year old boy, y’know who just doesn’t really know how to be an adult, pretending to live my life, taking notes for when I’ll really have to do it. Kind of like I’m in a dress rehearsal for a Junior High play.


Apparently, we all have an age we imagine ourselves to be... crazy but i think i have so earned my years that i cannot be any age other than what i am. i remember all my years to feel so different, it's like each new year has taught me a new language and you cannot go back to not knowing it - i feel just the age i am.

i cannot be 17 - that girl was at high school, she didn't know anything; and was safe in the cocoon of being at home and under unnecessary tyranny of school and syllabus

i cannot be 21 - that girl hasn't ever been away from home; i think she looks different to me and she has no idea what she is studying and why

i cannot be 23 - that girl is stuck and realising that the razzle dazzle of glamour doesnt take too long to fade; but also she is now aware of a deeper beauty and deeper strength within her; oh the thoughts she has started thinking are beautiful

i cannot be 27 - that girl has yet to see the dramas of living alone - i am proud of how brave she is, but sad how lonely she will get before the end

i cannot be 28 - that girl will go thru a marriage that will she show her how that she can fool herself too - it will feel like pouring molten iron in her spine. stronger but humbler because she will do things she never knew she had it in her - but that girl isn't there yet, and so i cannot be 28

i cannot be 30 - that girl is wondering if life is going to be an unending story where all efforts are going to go waste - it won't, but she doesnt know that.

i am 32 - i am that one who is standing on cross roads, with innumerable regrets and undeniable wisdom for all that life that has been lived, knowing that there are many roads that i can take, and then it will be up to the road to take me up!

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”





No comments: