Tuesday 1 March 2011

Where do you want to go today?

A few months ago, I started two plants from mere cuttings, and I put them into a glass bowl with some absorbent mineral. I wasn’t very hopeful of their chances but it seems a bit of love, with water, occasional feed and a lot, A LOT of attention (because they sit right next to my computer screen, and are usually more interesting than whatever is on the screen) can go a long way. They have these beautiful long white roots and have had a fair few new leaves. The biggest risk that indoor plants face is their roots rotting – my plants are in a glass bowl so while the water doesn’t drain, I can see just how much there is… also the mineral is quite absorbent, so it is rarely that the roots sit in water for a very long time. And looking at them, I can imagine people letting the grass grow under their feet…

I can, at this time, imagine letting the sun rise, the rain fall, the grass grow, the birds chirp, while I sit in my newly tiled, swept up balcony, looking at them dreamily and comfortably. Until I sat down to do this introspection, I was feeling quite comfortable with my uselessness, and just as much at ease with the rest of the world. Now, I feel a bit guilty and should get back to doing something useful; but before I go there, isn’t it fascinating how every set of experience, simply, passes – a few days ago, there was me - exhausted and uncomfortable and ill at ease; and now there is me – comfortable, dreamy and cheerful; and there isn’t much that I did, I just let things pass…

PS: Things will pass, but, where do you want to go today?

No comments: