Wednesday 14 November 2012

ben affleck is god

no he is not, most definitely not, but that does not take away from the fact that i have just been watching argo* and i really enjoyed it. and that it does make a good title, like any extreme exaggeration does. and it was either that or something about what a hell of a day it has been...

the day, if we consider it ended as soon as i reached home, ended with me driving 15 minutes to midnight on beautiful canberra roads, and in my current frame of mind, i think that it is not dissimilar to ...  sitting next to the manmade lake and watching the lights of the city sparkling on it ... something beautiful and not overwhelming. before that i was watching argo because it was a bit of a shitty day. before argo it was looper (not today) so i have been having a good run with the movies. which brings me to the movies that have punctuated my life... the first time i drove alone, i did not take the car to the temple, i took it to the cinemas to watch lord of the rings, alone. the first time i had a car accident, i went and watched harry potter, again alone. when i submitted my thesis i saw namesake, with a friend. the day before the results, (chronologically before i moved to Oz) my brother took me to watch sleepy hollow. after moving to canberra the only ritual i held on to for a long time was watching movie every friday night, that stopped when some idiot decided he wanted to watch movies with me - please don't judge me for calling him an idiot and take my word for it that he was one. i remember promising to do anything for mum if she would only join me to watch into the wild - so i had to call and talk to someone whom i didn't really want to talk to**. but what it really meant was that if ben affleck isnt god, then sean penn definitely is. then there was secret lives of others, one of the glorious times you enter without a clue about the movie and it ends up being brilliant. i remember samson and delilah, where i wasnt able to watch the movie, but had the prime minister hold the door for me as i left the cinema - oh australia! oh canberra! i would have been polite and stayed out of the way but i was busy texting at the time. and coming back to the movies, today after my lawyer sent me a small hiccup of a problem and my rental agent sent me a slightly larger one over the email, i watched argo. after celebrating diwali at the temple with some friends...  

*if family is reading this, this is best kept to themselves because i might have been at the cinemas when i should have been returning phone calls or making them...
**these 2 sentences might make me sound worse than i am, please note that i believe in most cases the opinions that i hold are mutual, ie people think i am an idiot too and believe me not everyone wants to talk to me either. (and i can't help but point out, that YOU dont talk to me and reply to my blogs! so there!!)

No comments: