Sunday 12 December 2010

Movies, this year

The latest movie I have watched was the Spiderwick Chronicles (last night), which apart from the fact that it was a nice movie, was also one that M and I could watch together. I think M should watch more movies of people being nice to each other... but then I am not one to understand or appreciate the horror genre.

Before that I watched Uma Thurman's Motherhood (which needless to say, M did not watch with me) - which I quite enjoyed. I think I have never seen an Thurman movie I have not enjoyed, tho to be fair I have only seen the Kill Bill series and The Truth about Cats and Dogs. I borrrowed Pulp Fiction this year, but couldnt get around actually watching it. Another one that I borrowed but could not watch was The Men who Stare at Goats. In a lot of ways, Motherhood reminded me of Shrek - the final adventure, which I saw at the cinema and which was fun.


Jennifer Aniston's Friends with Money which was as different from Friends as possible, (considering that she was one of the most famous friend with money too)... and which inspite of some really nice acting by Frances McDormand wasn't really my cup of tea. Talking of which, I also saw He's Just Not That Into You which was better. And Aniston's Good Girl a couple of years ago, which I didn't enjoy. It seems like Jennifer Aniston is trying to do a 'certain kind' of movie so she ends up not careing if the story is any good or not.


Liam Neeson's Taken, in which Neeson shoots a man's wife in the arm (while the man is in front of him) as a way of warning and which had some rather high levels of violence against women presented in a inane cliched insensitive way, which turned me completely off it.

A Single Man was nice, if only because of the way it ends.

Beuwolf was one of those movies that I had been meaning to watch and one of those that M and I could watch together. So, was a reasonable watch.


Merlin and the Book of Beasts was a time pass, barely.

Social Network was witty and well made, a good movie but one that doesn't really stay with you after you have left the cinema hall - unless you are in the business of softwares.

Salman Khan's Dabang which was so unabashedly insane that it was fantastic


New Zealand's Boy which was a bit disappointing because it was so eagerly looked forward to.

Johny Gaddar, in which I really enjoyed watching Dharmedra's character, amid some rather flawed people.


Clash of the Titans, Prince of Persia, Robin Hood - what can I say, I watched them too.
ok, none of which I would recommend but among which Robin Hood was the worst, mostly because Russell Crowe couldn't decide what accent Robin Hood spoke in, so movie changes between 2 or 3 accents at random.


Woody Allen's Match Point and You Will Meet a Dark Tall Stranger neither of which makes me believe that I would want to watch any more of Woody Allen.


Adrien Brody's Predators which I did enjoy


And to round the year with movies on the plane:

Tim Burton's absolute genius of a movie: Nightmare before Christmasand the Dickson's classic, A Christmas Carol, a very well made animation and with Jim Carrey quite ideal as Scrooge.
Julie and Julia, A movie about food and resolultions which was just right for the plane!

PS: Can't believe I forgot the two of my favourite watches of the year
Easy A, and M's recommendation of Seven Years in Tibet. Loved them both!

5 comments:

Paul Kearney said...

You were underwhelmed by "boy"? I loved that movie. I had less expectations, }I think, and definitely part of my enjoyment was my fondness for New Zealand and watching it so far from home. And "single man"? Didn't it end withhis death? I've forgotten already. Nice collection, N.

Neha said...

Hi Paul,

Thanks! I would have liked to see a few more, but life is too short for movies!

About Boy: Yes, I think it was just that I was expecting it to be very funny and very insightful, about a place I know nearly nothing about... in hindsight, couldn't have expected it to work too well. But the friend I watched it with, liked it more than I did - so I think it was definitely me... Did they show that movie at the halls in Chili?

A single man did end with his death, it just came the way it always should. :)

Paul Kearney said...

Huh! You liked the inevitabilty of "A single man"! No, they didn't show "boy" here, but my sister brought it over when she visited. I think for me it was completely infused with a kind of nostalgic New Zealand, the same way the Castle was infused with a kindly, imaginary Australia, and New Zealand culture is something I immediately feel affectionate towards. I like the director's short film too: http://vimeo.com/2635339 which is really sweet.

Neha said...

Yes and the actors. I would have liked to understand what the student was trying to get out of the whole thing - even if it was just human/male company or if his actions were simply compassionate - but I enjoyed watching the others.

I haven't seen Castle and I will have to go home to watch the short film..

Did you watch EasyA?

Paul Kearney said...

You didn't believe that it was a student crush? Or the student was in love?
I haven't seen EasyA. What's that?