Thursday 3 April 2014

what a crazy thought!

The roads in a city once got flooded by a few minutes rain and while people were commenting on the volume of the rain, a colleague wondered about the drainage systems - about how it was a bit of flash rain and the system wasn't able to cope at all. The drainage systems and such, i believe, are designed to withstand some standard once-in-so-many-years event, and this system was frequently failing.

So, recently when I was thinking about me and the flash floods and emergencies in my life - i realised that the most earth shattering events in my life are actually rather mundane - divorce/heartbreak/domestic violence/living the expat life*. So if my life was a city, and it couldn't deal with previous events i would call it rather badly designed, wouldn't i? My blessings, ie, my access to education, to family, to money, to employment, to love, to knowledge, to freedom, to safety actually put me in a smaller minority. What a crazy thought! 

*the last one is not really a bad thing, but it causes its dramas.

No comments: