Wednesday 16 October 2013

Bad haircut does not cause an impure mind

A pure mind, according to the definitions that I have heard, is one that is free of jealousies, anger and so on; it is, to get to the crux of it, free of desires and expectations, because when we desire or expect we feel jealous of those who have what we want, angry when the world prevents us from getting what we want, and greedy or scared when we have what we want. The practical reason to have a pure mind is that it is a happy mind, and we experience most happiness in this state.

Which is not to say that a happy mind is a pure mind. Like Swami Chinmayananda says, it is not that coffee doesn't give us happiness, but it is not permanent. Sometimes the world DOES meet our expectations; but also, sometimes it exposes our expectations and leaves us with an option that either our expectations burn or our minds – if we are intelligent, we let the expectations burn and purify our minds.

Whatever Z might think, he over-estimates the purity of his mind and mine. A few minutes a day I am a loose cannon and I am so confused about my motives and so full of some emotional energy that I need to vent it out. I would like him to know that his is not a victim less crime; but before we hurt anyone else, we hurt ourselves – to make him the criminal, I will have to make myself the victim.

No comments: